Whether you have found an amazing new lamp base or are reusing your favourite one, you will need to find a lamp shade that will fit it perfectly!
I have outlined a few handy tips to make it easier for you to find the right size and shape lampshade for your base
For table lamps
- The diameter of your lampshade should be wider than the widest part of the lamp base
- The diameter of your lampshade should not be any bigger than the height of the lamp base
- The height of your lampshade should be between 60% and 80% of the height of the base
For floor lamps
- The diameter of your lampshade should usually be 40cm or larger
- The height of your lampshade should be between 30% and 50% of the height of the base
Shape of your lampshade
As a rough rule the shape of the lampshade should match the shape of the base. For example if the base is rounded then the lampshade should be a round/drum shape. However if the base is rectangular then the shade should be more angular, a rectangle or square shape.
All of these tips are only there as a guide, I believe that there are a lot of lampshade and base combinations that look amazing but don’t follow these guidelines at all!
It might be a good idea to play around with different sizes and shapes if possible. If you are local to Brighton then you are always welcome to pop into my studio with your base to check out which shade would suit it best. Just contact me to arrange a day